Scarlet - REVIEW

Tuesday, October 27, 2015


By Marissa Meyer
Scarlet is the second book in the Lunar Chronicles and follows Cinder as she attempts to escape from prison before Queen Levana has her executed. We meet some interesting new characters; Scarlet who's grandmother is missing, Wolf a mysterious street fighter and "Captain" Carswell Thorne (my personal favorite addition).

This book is written in multiple POVs so it jumps back and forth between the characters. I like Scarlet, she's tough and compassionate, she refuses to give up. She is selfless and kind but will not back down and knows how to kick butt when she needs to.

Wolf is a big, bad, undefeated street fighter with a softer side, and a little mystery going on there, who offers to help Scarlet find her grandmother when no one else will. As much as I enjoyed Scarlet and Wolf's story line I just couldn't wait to get back to Cinder!

Cinder is such a great character and her new companion, Thorne, was a fun addition because he added a bit of comic relief. I was really hoping to see more Iko and I was not disappointed. I love Iko's sassy personality so I would always get excited when the story would switch back to them. Marissa did a great job of weaving Cinder and Scarlet's story lines together and connecting the two fairy tales.

I have to say, I felt bad for Emperor Kai. This poor guy lost his father, the girl he could potentially fall in love with and has the weight of the world on his shoulders trying to stop a war. If he marries Queen Levana she will kill him and take over the world, if he doesn't marry her she will start a war Kai knows he can't win. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Cinder is still my favorite book so far in this series because it was so unexpectedly unique. Scarlet didn't draw me in to the same extent that Cinder did mostly because I didn't want to share Cinder's story with anyone else, if that makes any sense. I think I was too busy wondering what was happening with Cinder to really focus my attention on Scarlet's issues but once their paths crossed it really picked up the pace and I couldn't put it down.

The ending really had me excited for the next book, Cress, which is currently waiting for me on my nightstand. I've heard really great things about Cress and her Rapunzel-like character. If you enjoyed Cinder I would definitely recommend Scarlet.










Add Scarlet on goodreads


Great Read!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Lost has read 3 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

Instagram

Subscribe