Adventures in Wine Country

Tuesday, September 01, 2015


The top of my bucket list consists of sky diving, visiting New Zealand and touring my favorite wineries in Napa Valley. I have finally...FINALLY had the opportunity to visit Napa. Dreams really do come true!





First on my list was Castello Di Amorosa. The "castle of love." This winery did not disappoint. We took a self guided tour and took our time climbing to the top and enjoying the views. This is an authentic, 13th century, Tuscan style castle.  I was already in love!




We headed down to the courtyard while I snapped pictures every chance I got. It was my first time in a castle! Actually, my second time if you count Cinderella's castle at Disney World.





The courtyard is beautiful. I could just sit with a glass of white wine and read all day. Maybe even write a book. I never wanted to leave. 




There was only one thing that could make this tour even more enjoyable. Wine tasting! The wine was amazing. It took everything I had not to spend all our vacation money ordering several cases. 

The wine they make here is not sold in stores, which made the tasting all the more exciting. I will be hopping on their website and ordering my favorites to share with family and friends. 




We picked our favorite bottle to take back to our resort to celebrate and headed out through the gift shop. This suit of armor was calling my name but alas, it wouldn't fit in my suitcase.  




Once outside the castle we explored a little of the grounds and everywhere we turned these guys appeared. I want a whole flock of these chickens! How cute are they with their poofy feathers?








August was the perfect month to visit. Just look at those beautiful grapes begging to be picked! I was so excited to see them up close. We were sad to leave but excited to visit the next winery on our list.


Grapes almost ready for harvest

We headed over to my favorite winery, who's wine we are very familiar with, Beringer. This wine can be easily found and purchased in stores all over. Beringer was one of the first wineries in Napa, so I just had to see it.




This winery was also one of the filming locations of the movie, A Walk in the Clouds. This movie is a favorite of my family, including my Grandmother, who insisted I take pictures of where part of the movie was filmed.




My favorite part of the tour was exploring the tunnels and tasting some amazing wine. So many glorious barrels. Like the suit of armor, not one would fit in my purse or luggage! 

Every time I buy a bottle of Beringer wine I will always think fondly back to our trip. 




Further into the tunnel we came to the spot the scene was filmed where Anthony Quinn and Keanu Reeves sat and drank wine right before the drunken serenade.  


A Walk in the Clouds filming location

It was a tight squeeze but I managed to get a closer shot.


Keanu Reeves & Anthony Quinn sat in this spot 


Outside we were able to see and tour the Rhine House which was built in 1884. Absolutely beautiful. 





Front of Rhine House


Side view of Rhine House


Here we have the Hudson House. Built in 1850 and eventually moved using logs and horses so the Rhine House could be built in it's spot.



Our tour was over and it was time to head back. We were looking forward to some dinner and a chance to savor our bottle of Simpatica. A wonderful sweet white wine from Castello Di Amorosa. The perfect end to a perfect day.









Our trip was paid for by us. All thoughts and opinions are our own.   


Pin to Pinterest

 

 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Lost has read 3 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

Instagram

Subscribe