Magonia - REVIEW

Friday, February 26, 2016

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21393526-magonia?from_search=true&search_version=service


By Maria Dahvana Headley 


I can honestly say that I have never read a book like this before. I just finished Magonia and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. Aza is a 15 year old girl who is dying from a strange disease. She is drowning in air. She suddenly starts seeing ships in the sky and hears her name being called. This is when things begin to get...weird.

What I liked about this book was it's uniqueness. A whole different world in the sky, ships sailing through the clouds, strange creatures like stormsharks and fun things like sky pirates. The cover is stunning and I also liked the fact that this story is based on mythology which I immediately googled upon completion.

Some things left me a bit confused and those are the parts that I'm undecided on. For example, bird people that can open their chest and hold a small bird, that sings with them, inside. I was a little disturbed by the image and somewhat baffled by it. Why keep the bird in there of all places?

There wasn't much or any explanation on some of the more outrageous elements of the story. If I suddenly had a bird in my lung that was talking to me, I can assure you, my biggest concerns would be getting that thing out and/or checking in to the nearest mental institute.

I had so many questions about how and why things worked the way they did but I am probably just over thinking things. I was very surprised at how this crazy story actually affected me though. There were some emotional scenes that I was not expecting to hit me as hard as they did. Despite the author's unusual writing style, the scenes were very moving. If you decide to take a journey to Magonia be sure to bring some Kleenex along.

My feelings are all over the place and I've never felt such mixed emotions about a book. I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. I wouldn't recommend this book to everyone but for those who want something completely different and fantastical I'd say, give it a try.






Add Magonia on Goodreads


Good Read

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Lost has read 3 books toward her goal of 25 books.
hide

Instagram

Subscribe